What would you do if you woke up to find that your home was quickly being consumed by flames?
An unlikely hero was born when he woke up to this exact scenario on Sunday: 5-year-old Noah Woods.
According to WXIA, Noah was asleep in his home in Bartow County, Georgia, when he woke up to smoke and flames in the bedroom he shared with his 2-year-old sister.
When many other children and even adults would likely panic, little Noah quickly got out of bed, grabbed his little sister, and escaped the house through the only exit they could, through their bedroom window.
Noah’s heroism didn’t end with saving his sister’s life, however. This incredible little boy went back into his home to rescue the family dog and pull it out of the house to safety. Next, he ran uncle’s house next door and together, they awoke the five other family members in the house and rescued them.
Although the fire destroyed the entire house, every member of Noah’s family made it out safely and only needed treatment for minor burns and smoke inhalation. Praise God!!
“We’ve seen children alert their families before,” said Bartow County Fire Department Chief Dwayne Jamison to CNN. “But for a 5-year-old to be alert enough to do this … that’s pretty extraordinary.”
According to Jamison, the fire was started by an overloaded electrical outlet in Noah and his sister’s bedroom.
“By the grace of God, all nine of our loved ones were able to get out of our home,” Noah’s grandfather David Woods said in a post on the family’s GoFundMe campaign. “If it wasn’t for Noah, we may not be here today.”
On Friday, Noah was presented with a proclamation from Bartow County Commissioner Steve Taylor honoring him with his very own day of recognition.
“I proclaim today, Valentine’s Day, February, 14, 2020, as Noah Woods Day in Bartow County,” Taylor said at the ceremony.
The Bartow County Fire Department also presented Noah with his own badge, certificate, helmet, firefighter pajamas, and a firetruck ride.
“I’m thankful that his act of bravery … models a lot of the home exit drills and safety that we teach in school,” said Bartow County Fire Chief Dwayne Jamison. “Because of his quick actions … a total of eight family members were able to get out of the house with only minor injuries and smoke inhalation.”
“Noah’s brave actions saved the life of the family,” outgoing fire chief Craig Millsap said.
Praise God for this bold little boy! Lord willing, he will grow up to be as bold a protector and defender of life as he was that night!
If you appreciate the work we are doing to fight the leftist assault on our values, please consider a small donation to help us continue. Thank you so much!