Heated protests and heavy police presence have followed the release of a violent, unrepentant child predator after being forcibly hospitalized in a California state psychiatric facility for 21 years.
According to ABC7, 59-year old Cary Jay Smith is a convicted sex offender and claims to have molested 200 young boys and killed three.
In 1985, Smith was convicted of a misdemeanor sexual offense involving a child, but his registration as a sex offender in the state expired in 2005.
In 2002, the Orange County District Attorney’s Office filed 20 felony counts of lewd and lascivious acts with a minor against him, but the charges were dismissed having surpassed the statute of limitations.
Every six months that Smith was held by the state, he was entitled to a new trial to allow him the opportunity to demonstrate that he was no longer a danger to society.
“During those hearings, Smith has repeatedly testified that he fantasizes about raping and then killing young boys in order to avoid being identified. He claims that he has killed three boys and molested 200,” the DA’s office said in a statement last week.
“He prefers to go by the name Mr. RTK, which stands for rape, torture, kill,” the statement said, issuing a grave warning ti county residents about Smith’s release.
“Psychologists have testified over the years that Smith posed an imminent danger and County Counsel has argued to keep Smith confined,” the statement noted. “The state hospital did not renew the 5300 hold against Smith, allowing it to expire on Saturday, July 11, 2020.”
“The fact that he is being released back into our community is unconscionable,” said Orange County Board of Supervisors Chairwoman Michelle Steel in the statement. “We must take this threat to our community very seriously and ensure that everyone in Orange County is aware of this individual’s grave threat to our children.”
“This sexual predator has repeatedly testified under oath that he will re-offend if he is released and we should believe him,” said Orange County District Attorney Todd Spitzer.
To make matters worse, Smith will not be monitored by the parole system due to the medical, rather than criminal, nature of his hospitalization. Initially, Smith was not even required to re-register as a sex offender until more than 38,000 people signed a petition urging Governor Gavin Newsom to compel him to do so.
Since his release, Smith has been followed by heavy police surveillance and furious protests, forcing to have to relocate several times around Southern California. In Lake Elsinore, an angry group of citizens showed up at the motel where he was staying, with deputies fending them off and preventing them from going inside to confront Smith.
#BreakingNews #CarySmith: @GardenGrovePD says, "Cary Jay Smith is no longer in #GardenGrove. Local authorities are continuing to monitor him." Where will he be going next, #LACounty? https://t.co/706TAgOSQI
— Riverside County Scanner (@RivCoScanner) July 21, 2020
After the incident, deputies escorted Smith away from the motel. By Sunday night, ABC7 reports, he had settled at a motel in the northern part of San Diego County.
Although authorities in every city in which Smith winds up have warned the public about Smith’s presence and established surveillance of his whereabouts, they have also noted that he is not yet a registered sex offender, is not wanted for a crime, and is not on probation or parole and is, therefore, is free to move about as he pleases.
As of this writing, Smith’s information is still not available in the California sex offender registry.
According to ABC7, Smith was admitted to a psychiatric facility in 1999 after his wife provided a letter in which Smith described sexually abusive acts he wished to inflict upon a 7-year-old boy who lived in their neighborhood.
That boy’s mother, Lynn Vogt, is thankful that her son was never harmed but doesn’t doubt for a moment that Smith will hurt others.
“Realistically, I’d love to see him locked up but I know that’s probably not going to happen until he says or does something that shows, right now, today, that he’s a danger to people,” said Vogt. “The guy shouldn’t be roaming free. There’s just no way.”
If you appreciate the work we are doing to fight the leftist assault on our values, please consider a small donation to help us continue. Thank you so much!