This Pastor Was Welcomed Home With A Parade After His 80-Day Battle With COVID-19


A North Carolina pastor received a hearty welcome home from his entire community after God gave him the victory in a harrowing 80-day battle with COVID-19.

According to WFMY-TV, Rory Baker, a pastor at Fruit of the Spirit Ministries in Greensboro was only 54 years old when he contracted coronavirus back in April.

“So I said, ‘OK, it’ll be a couple of days and he would be home,’ and unfortunately that was not the case,” Baker’s wife Melissa told WFMY-TV, explaining that she thought he’d be one of the many folks who suffer comparatively mild symptoms due to his lack of pre-existing conditions.

“The doctor called and that was on the 5th. He called just to kind of let me know what was going on and what the next step would be if there was no improvement,” she continued. “That Monday, April 6, I did get the call that evening, that night, that they were getting ready to place him on the ventilator. When I initially got the call that the ventilator will be the next step, I just felt like, ‘If I could get to the hospital, I could be closer to him and that will bring me a sense of peace.'”

Melissa ventured out to the hospital twice a day to pray, laying hands on the building and praying for God to guide the doctors and protect her husband inside.

“I would often just tell them not to give up on my husband, that he was a fighter and my faith was in God and I asked the doctor, ‘What is it that we need to pray for? Myself, my family and my church family and my community? What should we pray for?'” she said of her video meetings with her husband’s care team. “I continued to go to the hospital in the mornings and pray, and I will put my handprint on the glass and I will go back in the evening and I will continue to pray.”

“I did tell him that I was the one placing the fingerprints on the glass and explained to him that my husband was a patient in the hospital and that he was still on a ventilator and I had come by praying each day,” she said of Rodney Simpson, a hospital fitness staff member who approached her one day.

Melissa feared Simpson was there to ask her to stop, but instead he asked to join her in prayer.

“He asked me if he could pray with me and at that point, I started to pray, and I prayed, and when I stop praying, he started to pray,” she said. “It really just blessed me. It blessed me because I knew his words were sincere and at that moment I truly felt like he was an angel from the Lord and that God was truly hearing my prayers.”

Melissa’s strength kept up for 80 heart-rending days until Rory was finally cleared to go home.

“I couldn’t do nothing but praise God,” his mother, Betty Baker, told WGHP-TV, “because I knew he had just answered our prayers because the doctors only gave him 10 percent to live, but God said, ‘No, I got 90 to add on.'”

“I feel like the world has been lifted off my shoulder,” Rory’s sister, Ronda Baker said. “I mean it was just a feeling that you could never give again.”

Rory’s community celebrated his return home with a bang, including a parade of cars, pedestrians, and even fire trucks that took over eight weeks to pass.

“I love them,” the pastor said upon his return home. “I love them, and I tell people this, never take a day for granted.”

If you appreciate the work we are doing to fight the leftist assault on our values, please consider a small donation to help us continue. Thank you so much!